Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Recone or just remagnetized?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My 416-8B's look just fine so I am debating on having them completely reconed or just remagnetized?
    There is no apperent damage and I use them daily with no problems.
    Your thoughts??

    Thanks,
    V

    P.s. I will try not to post THIS one twice forums

  2. #2
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I would'nt fix what isn't broken, besides as far as I'm conserned, nothing beats an original cone as far as sound, of course it retains it's value better with an orig. cone but I think they sound better that way also. if the voice coil rubs or something like that, than yes, go for a recone but remagnetizing them would be great if the cones & voice coils are good.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If your drivers have a lot of usage on them you may be quite surprised at what a difference remagnetization can make. I just had Bill at Great Plains Audio zap a pair of 30 year old 416-8Bs. Output was increased (even the kids noticed) but even more important, the upper bass/lower midrange definition went up a couple notches. I found it to be very pleasing. If the cones and surrounds are still in good condition, especially if they are original, don't mess with them. They'll last a long time and probably be worth a bit more if you ever decide to part with them. forums

  4. #4
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you want them remagged thats fine, but If you have original cones and they are fine DO NOT RECONE!

    As has already been said, Dont fix what aint broke!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Ok then, next question.
    Can I unbolt the magnet (416-8B) from the speaker, or do I need to send the whole unit??

    Sorry if thats a stupid question,
    Thanks,
    V

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    I just got some 416-8B's that need to be reconed, and, I would guess, remagged. They look like they've been at least verbally abused. Orange County Speaker repair lists a factory recone for $139. Does anyone know what this really is or where they are getting it? I didn't know any of those cones were still in production.

    Also: The 416-8B's I got are part of a kit of M19 parts. I think I've read that the diaphragm in the M19 CD is a special light one. Is that true? If so, how does one determine whether the dia present is the right one? Also, the M19 CD is not labeled. Is it the 808, mostly?

    Thanks,

    David

  7. #7
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would tend to say that most Altec type recone kits come from GPA, as they will sell to qualified recone shops!

    Bills kits are good, and sound good. The color is a bit darker than the original grey color, but I use his stuff, and it works and sounds good!

    I will tell you that if you have your speaker reconed at GPA, their workmanship is great, neat glue work, perfectly centered cone and VC!

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, Scotty. That's the kind of first-hand information I am looking for.

    David

  9. #9
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, can I unbolt the magnet or do I have to send the whole unit?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you will have to send the entire unit in. If you unbolt the magnet, then you will have to remove the dust cover to get the magnet centered in the voice coil, which is WAY harder than centering a voice coil in a magnet. If you remove the magnet, you will probably have to get it reconed then anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.